GARMCO as a responsible corporate entity has maintained an enduring commitment to sustainable development and eco-friendly processes, and thereby work towards developing a better quality-of-life for employees and the wider community. The Company has consistently ensured that all operations across the plant are conducted in accordance with legal requirements and eco-friendly best practices. The ISO 14021:2016, Environmental Management System further validates GARMCO’s environmental commitment, and sets the tone for the company’s ongoing contributions to create a sustainable future and build a better world for future generations.
Environmental aspects and their related impact are calculated, and consequently, necessary operational controls are implemented. Some of the examples of this initiative include:
- Stopping all activities from the manufacturing process that could harm the environment, such as no longer using halon gas due to its adverse impact on the ozone layer
- Conserving natural resources through a policy of ‘reduce – reuse – recycle’ across all plant operations and the supply chain
- Installing computerized furnaces that increase efficiency levels
- Using LED lights that consume less energy
- Introducing variable frequency drivers for mill motors
- Reducing harmful emissions, including volatile organic compounds
- Monitoring radiation and heat levels
- Implementing a waste management policy that would include assigning approved third parties to conduct safe disposal of waste
- Reuse and monitoring effluent levels.
GARMCO’s management team holds quarterly meetings to review environmental impact issues, and these are based on monthly reports from line managers. The Company also issues a quarterly report to the Ministry of the Environment on emissions, radiation and heat levels, effluents, and waste management.