GARMCO is committed to sustainable development and better quality-of-life for its employees and the local community at large. The Company has consistently maintained a green philosophy by ensuring that all operations are strictly in accordance with legal requirements and environment-friendly best practices. In addition, GARMCO is Certified for ISO 14001:2015, Environmental Management System. Environmental aspects and their related impact are calculated, and necessary operational controls are implemented. Examples of this enlightened approach include the following:
- Removing all activities from the manufacturing process that could harm the environment, such as stopping the use of halon gas due to its adverse impact on the ozone layer
- Conserving natural resources through a policy of ‘reduce – reuse – recycle’ across all plant operations and the supply chain
- Installing computerised furnaces that are more efficient
- Using LED lights that consume less energy
- Introducing variable frequency drivers for mill motors
- Reducing harmful emissions, including volatile organic compounds
- Monitoring radiation and heat levels
- Implementing a waste management policy, including disposal of waste
- to approved third parties for reuse, and monitoring effluent levels.
GARMCO’s management team holds quarterly meetings to review environmental impact issues, based on monthly reports from line managers. The Company also issues a quarterly report to the Ministry of the Environment on emissions, radiation and heat levels, effluents, and waste management.